Thursday, April 19, 2012

4 new chicks - 1 day early

Woke up this morning and saw one of the eggs had been pipped.  This wasn't a total surprise as I had seen eggs moving slightly in the bator.  

Was gone all day but came home a somewhat newly hatched chickie.  So cute!





It wasn't too long until Chick# 2 made it's appearance.

Went outside with the kids for a while and came back in to see Chick # 3 hatching and within 15 minutes Chick# 4 was hatching.  I got that one on video and I'll post it later.

Sadly one of the chicks died in it's egg.  It pipped but never made it out.  I don't know what to make of that.

I got another pipped egg and a egg where the chick is having a problem getting out. I know you're not supposed to help them but as usual, I am.  I've had some successes in the past.

Here's how the incubator looks now:



Here's a picture of the 4 chickies in their temporary home.


Three of these chicks hatched from the dark brown maran eggs.  I'm hoping some of the white leghorn eggs hatch tomorrow.  They were candled and all viable.  

Till tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment