Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 21 - More new chicks, they are so cute!

Day 21 ended up with a lot more new chicks.  I did help one chick hatch and I was unsure of it's fate for a little while.  It looked bad for a while but within a couple of hours was just as active as the other chicks. I've helped some chicks hatch and you do have to be so careful but it can be successful or an epic fail.  I'll write more about both scenarios in the future.


Out of 17 eggs, we had 13 chicks hatch.  Out of the other 4 eggs, I wondered what happened so I slightly tapped them with a pencil until the shells cracked.  I learned that two (2) of the eggs were never fertilized.  The other two (2) eggs had chicks in them but I did not go any further to see what had happened.  I just know they didn't make it.


I decided to put the 2 silkies we got a few weeks ago together with these new baby chicks.  I kept a close eye on them to make sure none of the little chicks got hurt.  Within a day they all were blending together very well.  Here's a pic of them in their temporary holding area.  




I think these are some of the best looking chicks we've hatched thus far.  Look at the pics and let me know what you think.








 Once the weather warms up and they get a bit older they will be outside in a their own part of the coop.  It won't be long.  Chicks grow so fast.  Check back soon!

1 comment: